Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why the Xperia Play is overhyped junk and Qriocity is underhyped gold.

Yes. I said it. I called it junk.

I'm sure that if you've read any of my previous posts, you've noticed I'm definitely not a fan of the Xperia Play. I've received a couple emails from people who keep telling me how awesome the Xperia Play will be and it's the first real gaming phone and what not. But, the real reason for my Xperia Play hatred is that it's a sweet product based on a half baked concept.

As a gaming phone, the Xperia Play is clearly a winner, but it's a middle of the market product that doesn't really appeal to anyone. When thinking of the Xperia Play, one question comes up. Why do you exist?
Sights are deceptive, with all the comments I'm seeing on Sony Ericsson's facebook page and popular tech sites by people who are excited about the Playstation Phone, it is not surprising if Sony Ericsson has been deceived into thinking that the Xperia Play is a good idea (yes, strong words). But really, it is just a product that doesn't need to exist.
With the upcoming Playstation Suite, PS games will be made available to all Android devices which almost immediately renders the Xperia Play useless. Apart from the dedicated gaming controls and I'm going to take a hunch here, superior graphics performance, the Xperia Play offers nothing of value in comparison to other Android handsets available.

Let's do a step by step cancellation of the Xperia Play's potential customers: first off, humans are the only organisms who will buy an Xperia Play, for further clarification this excludes cheetahs, praying mantis's and all varieties of trees.
As a general rule, females and gaming don't normally fit in the same sentence unless it's a Facebook group about a girlfriend who is forced to make sandwiches while her boyfriend plays on his XBOX, so that eliminates approximately half of the human population.
Now down to business, of all males, how many will want to be seen carrying around a phone with gaming controls? Well, certainly not businessmen who want to be taken seriously. Certainly not your everyday person. Let's face it, only gaming enthusiasts will be carrying around dedicated gaming phones, but then again, wouldn't real gaming enthusiasts just opt for the NGP instead which has real analog sticks and PS3 graphics?


So, ultimately, the Xperia Play doesn't really appeal entirely to any section of the market, and Sony Ericsson are hyping it like it matters to everyone. 

On the other hand, Qriocity (VOD and Music Unlimited) is a service that has real potential, and shows us where the world is heading in terms of digital media. Qriocity is where Sony's focus should be, not some half-assed gaming phone that will most likely not see a second generation.
It's become quite evident of recent, that the success of hardware is dependent on the availability of complementing software and vice - versa. I've mentioned this several times, but the reason for Apple's success recently has been due to the almost perfect synergy between their hardware and software offerings, and the immediately availability of software on their devices, whenever, wherever you are.

Qriocity can finally get Sony there, to this heavenly abode that Apple has inhabited for 10 years.

What astounds me however, is the lack of marketing, even subtle promotional efforts of this new service by Sony. It is really quite astonishing and perplexing that the Xperia Play gets to take the limelight on Sony Ericsson's site homepage when the launch of Music Unlimited by Qriocity doesn't even get a spot in one of those measly four tab areas below Sony's site.
What the hell are you doing here? Get out of my life.

If Sony really want to turn Qriocity into the next iTunes, which I hope they are because they really shouldn't be aiming any lower, then two things need to happen:
1. It needs to go mobile, and Sony have already announced plans of an android version so that's sorted (unless they mess it up with some laggy failware).
2. People need to know it exists.

Number 2, is obviously what this whole post is referring to. Stating the obvious, there's no point making something if nobody knows that it even exists. I'm genuinely disappointed and mildly shocked when I ask my friends:

'Hey dude, you hear about the new Qriocity music service? It's like iTunes but you pay 13 bucks and you can eat up all the music you want for 30 days."
And they would respond with a half-hearted nod subtly hiding their ignorance on the subject matter.

But then, I don't blame them at all. Sony have done a shocking job at making Qriocity known. Qriocity hasn't been advertised at all, let alone made an appearance on any of Sony's sites.

Basic point of this post is, Sony and Sony Ericsson need to sort out their priorities. The Xperia Play is a doomed device that is being promoted insanely, which could only end up one way - embarrassment. Qriocity on the other hand, is where I personally see Sony's future is at. Sony's software has never been quite a strong point, however  Qriocity is a great concept, executed rather well, now they've got to let it out there, get it known.

Synergy has been talked about since the early Columbia days, this is their first real crack. Make this the next iTunes, not the next Connect. 

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:29 PM

    This is a pretty darn awesome site. Also mwahahaha i am the first to wrte a comment! Yeeeeeeeee brah! btw "As a general rule, females and gaming don't normally fit in the same sentence unless it's a Facebook group about a girlfriend who is forced to make sandwiches while her boyfriend plays on his XBOX, so that eliminates approximately half of the human population." this is my favourite part LOL
    xx some random (Anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh natasha natasha :)
    you never fail to amuse me.
    thank you very much for this most appreciated compliment!
    xx some random (Jeremy)[not anonymous]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:07 PM

    No problem mate, its very clever.
    But natasha? haha pfft noooooooo this is erm... Molly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha. because its totally normal to hesitate before saying your name. *suspicious face*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:57 PM

    rediculious article tbh

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you could elaborate specifically on why this article is ridiculous that would be great. I realise that my writing style is somewhat wacky, I suppose I was in that sort of mood when I wrote the article. Nevertheless I still stand firmly by the points I made in this article regarding the Xperia Play's futility and also the importance of Qriocity. I'm certainly open here for discussion or debate and I'd love to hear what you have to say about this article.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:10 AM

    I've owned my Xperia Play for about two months now. I am a hardcore gamer but also do business. The XP is fine for gaming although in reality I've only played the demos that came with the phone. The games are still "Phone" games and seemed to lack content,so I rarely end up playing games on it. My major complaint with the phone is it's constantly crashing on me for simple things like opening my contacts list or trying to dial out. The battery life is brutal if your using Blue Tooth and or GPS. The keypad for texting and dialing is clumsy and this phone gets so hot I'm afraid the processor is going to be dead in less than 6 months. I would never in a million years recommend this phone to anyone for any reason. A huge disappointment for me as I was really hoping to own a phone that rocked without having an apple on the back of it :P

    I really enjoyed your article and hope people take my complaints seriously for your sake.

    Thanks~

    ReplyDelete